Friday, December 5, 2008
Canada's Parliament Shut Down---Prorogued
Pro-rogue--An Analysis of Its Meaning
by Scott Templeton, Whitby, Ontario
Now that parliament has been postponed lets take at look at the word pro-rogue…pro-rogue by itself means:
1) To discontinue a session of (The British parliament or a similar body)
2) To defer; postpone
But if we separate the word, ‘pro’ and ‘rogue’, we come to a complete different definition.
Lets Start with‘PRO’--we all know that it refers to
1) the pros, the professional athletic leagues, as of football, baseball, or basketball: He's sure to be signed by the pros.
2) An expert in a field of endeavor
3) In support of something...you're "pro-Canadian" meaning you support Canada
Now lets look at the word “ROGUE”
1) a dishonest, knavish person; scoundrel
2) to cheat
3) to uproot or destroy (plants, etc., that do not conform to a desired standard)
4) (of an animal) having an abnormally savage or unpredictable disposition, as a rogue elephant
5) no longer obedient, belonging, or accepted and hence not controllable or answerable; deviating, renegade: a rogue cop; a rogue union local
The analysis then--pro-rogue could mean in support of rogues...or support those who demonstrate the characteristics of rogues 1 to 5 above
So does that mean by extension that some of our politicians are dishonest, knavish scoundrels that cheat to uproot or destroy, have an unpredictable disposition and are no longer accepted?
Look at Canada's present government to judge the applicability of this analysis...Does it fit?